Over the weekend, Jeff was in church when the pastor brought up the question of, “what if the world wrote their own beatitudes or unBeatitudes? What would they look like or say?”
Here are the results:
- Blessed are the entitled, for they grab what they want.
- Blessed are the carefree, for they shall be comfortable.
- Blessed are the pushy, for they shall win.
- Blessed are the greedy, for they shall climb the food chain.
- Blessed are the vengeful, for they shall be feared.
- Blessed are those who don’t get caught, for they shall look good.
- Blessed are the argumentative, for they shall get in the last word.
- Blessed are the popular, for this world lies at their feet.
When you look at what the world around us values, it looks completely opposite to Jesus and the Gospel doesn’t it?
Now, here is what the word of God says are the real Beatitudes from Matthew 5:3-10:
“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:3-10)
The Gospel of Jesus is more than a few handy tips for improving our lives this week. It is a new outlook on everything, with a glorious future renewing the creation through his death and resurrection. But he is not the only one making us promises. The world has its own version of events, its own eschatology, its own promises of reward. We must choose. And either way, we will be living by faith.
This post was written by Ray Ortlund for RenewingThoughts.com and if you’d like to read the article, you can click here!
Do you love this? Want to see more? Consider becoming an iPartner with KCBI! GIVE NOW
If you want to catch Jeff & Rebecca’s podcast daily, you can always subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, iHeartRadio, Stitcher or Soundcloud! Just click the buttons below! Also, don’t forget to rate and review to help the podcast get found by others!